An Okie headed to Lanark ...

Rally discussion & events

Moderator: uglydogrally

mehalley

An Okie headed to Lanark ...

Postby mehalley » 2017.02.16 06:24:32 PM

G'Day folks!

Just wanted to alert you to the plans afoot that will find Mal Swann accompanying this Okie in the ex-Rod Millen RX7 to compete at the Lanark Highlands Forest Rally in May. This, hopefully, after Mal flies to middle America to drive the RealAutoSport, LLC Group 2 RX7 GSL-SE rental at the Rally in the 100 Acre Wood in Missouri.

I look forward to finally - after 40 years of driving rally cars (& trucks) - competing in Canada and especially on roads once used for the World Rally Championship. I am counting on this forum to0 get the very latest information.

Then there's a trip to Nova Scotia to fetch my next bucket list car ... but more on that later.

Thanks for the add and kind regards,

Mike ...
RealAutoSport, LLC
www.realautosport.com (a distressingly out of date site that has a lot of pics and a few good stories)

uglydogrally
Learning the Curves
Learning the Curves

Re: An Okie headed to Lanark ...

Postby uglydogrally » 2017.02.17 11:37:23 AM

Exciting news!!
Matt W.
2014 Fiesta ST

mehalley

Postby mehalley » 2017.02.22 09:13:52 PM

RealAutoSport, LLC has to make a minor change to our LHFR plans. Since the cage in the Millen car is questionable we will bring the rental RX7 Mal Swann will be driving at Rally America's Rally in the 100 Acre Wood March 16 - 18.

mehalley

Postby mehalley » 2017.03.22 02:35:00 PM

There might be yet another change of competition vehicles for the RealAutoSport, LLC Rallye Team.

Mal Swann flew to Missouri to drive Cracker (RAS's stock powered 1984 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE) at Rally America's Rally in the 100 Acre Wood and was looking good pedaling the car until a coolant seal inside the engine let go and ended Mal's weekend. Or so it seemed. Since we plan to team up for Lanark Highlands Mal jumped in the silly seat of the 1995 VR6 powered VW Jetta rallye car I picked up in L'Anse, Michigan about 6 weeks ago with plans to shake it down and sell it. Thanks to the fun, solid, and trouble free runs with the car both days of 100 Acre Wood I'm not in such a rush to sell it!. (I might be a rallye car hoarder in the making). Given the unknowns regarding the spare Dorito engines I have at the shop it makes the most sense to just plan on running the VW at Lanark with For Sale signs showing and if no offers come my way for the Jetta just haul it home with the FIAT I'm picking up in Halifax after the event.

The real bonus is that Mal's run with me across Saturday's stages mean I get to start Lanark with a codriver I'm already more than comfortable with so I'm really looking forward to the event!

See ya'all in Ontario this May!

SlowVW
Learning the Curves
Learning the Curves

Postby SlowVW » 2017.03.22 04:13:49 PM

In for pictures and info on the Jetta :mrgreen:
Zack - '13 Beetle TDI, Ginster '98 GTI Golf Country TDI
Lots of VWs, not a lot of speed.
PartSource Merivale Road

mehalley

Postby mehalley » 2017.03.30 11:00:27 AM

Pics and even a few vids of the Jetta from 100Acre Wood have appeared on my personal and the RealAutoSport, LLC FaceBook pages but since I have entered the Southern Ohio Forest Rally and will be spending more than a few days in the Halifax area between, current plans are to compete with the VW at both May events. So I guess I'll leave the For Sale signs at the shop ...

I'm really looking forward to Lanark. Can't wait!