Morphy wrote:I just signed up for May 24. Will be my first time lapping.
Is there someplace that has a good introduction to lapping? Maybe some good instructional videos or info like what to pack for the day etc?
I'd like to prepare myself as much as possible before showing up.....
Prep for stuff
- Make sure you fill out and bring your registration and safety forms.
- For the car bring an air pump, torque wrench (for lug nuts), extra motor oil. I wouldn't worry about anymore tools or replacement parts for the first day.
- Make sure the car is in good working condition, which should be covered by the safety checklist.
- Bring comfortable clothes for being outdoors all day. This includes rain gear, possibly a dry change of clothes.
- Bring water/drinks to keep hydrated, sunscreen, and snacks.
- Bring a some kind of container or tarp to cover up all the stuff you're unpacking from your car weather tight.
- Pack and prep the car the day before so you just have to drive to the track early in the morning. Less stress and less chance of forgetting something.
Prep for yourself
- Get a good night's sleep. It is tiring to drive at that high level of concentration for an entire day.
- If this is one of the first times doing high performance driving, don't worry about overloading with driving theory. Just remember the basics and work with your instructor during the lapping day. Here is a link to a reasonable first day guide. http://www.stevecarter.com/track-day-beginners.htm
- Have a look at the track map. Probably won't be able to connect it while driving, but at least you'll have an idea about turn numbers and names when talking about it during the lapping day. http://calabogiemotorsports.com/display28
- Check the ego at the door. Don't worry about being fast, being passed. It's about learning and having fun. There will be plenty of time to practice, experiment and learn the track. Guaranteed that you'll be a better driver and faster at the end of the day.